Friday, May 15, 2009

Namsan Seoul Tower

Friday, May 1st we took a trip back to the Main Seoul Institute to meet up with one of Matthew's friends from Southern, Brian, who has come to Korea to teach! We thought it would be fun to eat lunch together and see the N Seoul Tower. We'd never been there and since it was fairly close to the main institute we figured it would be a good activity.






This beautiful arbor is where we had our lunch. God's beauty is so amazing and completely thrills our souls.






Walking to where Brian was staying I spotted this McDonald's delivery motorcar and snapped a picture. Yes, McDonald's delivers! This is what the delivery vehicles all look like.



After a lunch of homemade bread and hot dog spread we ventured onward! We got sort of lost a few times, got off on the wrong stop, went up the wrong set of stairs, but soon(er or later) we made it!






This was to be our mode of transportation to the tower. Did I mention I have a fear of heights?







In Korea, there is always room for one more. So as we piled into the cable car I hoped we'd be on the next one, but the man motioned us in. There was a bar at the top of the car and I gripped that like it was my lifeline. Logically if the cable car fell, that wouldn't help me, but I couldn't let go... =P So the whole ride up I clung to it.



At the top was a pretty area with some cultural things. These are smoke signal chimneys.







It was a big smoggy that day so the view shots aren't the best.



Matthew and Brian.



Namsan Tower!


When we got to the base of the tower we found that there was a type of cultural festival going on...for China! I love when we go somewhere and something extra fun is happening. We watched the Chinese men for a while before buying our tickets. While Matthew and Brian got the tickets I sat down. I didn't know it at the time, but this was when my appendix really started to kick in.







It was amazing to watch and I felt proud to watch it because I'm 1/8th Chinese.



At the base of the tower there was an observatory type of deck and all around it's fence were thousands of locks and key chain type things. I didn't get to ask why they were there but from what we gathered Namsan Tower is trying to have a "Love Forever" type thing and so during this year you buy a key chain or lock, write a love message on it and leave it there. I'm not sure if later on they will have a ceremony where everyone comes and gets theirs. It was interesting.










Here was an English one Matthew found.


Then it was time to go up, up into the tower. We didn't go to the top level because that was a really expensive revolving restaurant and we weren't allowed to go up there unless we ate there.





Here's a video of the elevator. It was really quick.


Around the observatory top where we were they had different places listed and how far, from that direction it was to get there.






Of course I wanted my picture taken with the one toward New York as it is closes to my home!



I had to sit a lot and rest during this trip but I had no idea that surgery would follow in a few days! Here Matthew is chillin' with me.












Before we went back down Matthew searched for which place we were the furthest from. And there it is! Argentina!




Too soon it was time for our decent on the cable car. This time though we were able to wait and be the first ones in the next car.
Here goes the previous cable car.



Here comes our ride!



We had front row seats for the ride down and great opportunity for pictures and videos. Matthew's video turned out the best so we'll just post that =)




I was happy to have a seat to sit on for the ride down!
We took Brian back to Hoegi and then took the subway home. We were both exhausted from the walking but I felt faint and so we were extra glad for seats on the subway. Looking back at our trip out, I feel so blessed that God was watching over us and keeping my appendix in a reasonable state of pain so when I did have to go to the hospital we would be near our apartment.

No comments: