Friday, May 18, 2012

Memorial Trip to the Zoo


I was walking around my classroom, a week or so after Marissa died.  Sadness hovered over me and yet I was trying to think of, find something, that would bring the students joy.  My Aunt Karen had asked to be able to do something for the students.  

I walked over to our prayer wall.  The students had only put up one prayer request and I glanced over them, scanning for Marissa's handwriting.  I saw it.


And so was finalized a vague idea in my mind of taking the students to the zoo.  We would go, to remember her, and to fulfill a prayer request.  

When I told my class about Marissa's prayer request and my Aunt Karen paying for the students to go, they cheered.  We moved her card from Prayer Requests to Answers to Prayer.  In the picture it's the fourth one down.


The day of the trip arrived bright and beautiful.  Before we left one of the students prayed that we would have a good time even though Marissa couldn't be with us.  I cannot remember the exact words but they were perfect.  

We are to rejoice in the joy she lived in Jesus.



This trip was another reminder how God uses us to be an answer to prayer for someone else.  


I was talking to my brother before the trip and he said that when Jesus wakes Marissa up, she will get to go to the "zoo".  Heaven will be the best zoo ever.


So as Marissa sleeps in Jesus we went to the zoo to remember her, to laugh as she would have, and enjoy all that God has created.  One day we will be reunited, and together, explore the uncaged zoo of heaven.




Seeing the animals and yet being unable to get closer reminds me of the Bible verse from 1 Corinthians 13:12, "For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known."

We could not get to the animals, our vision was dark, but one day we will be able to know them and touch them without fear.  


And so it is with heaven, with Jesus, with Marissa...Tai Tai, Aunt Teresa, Grandpa, Olivia, Kelly, Valerie...and all those we have lost.  

Our view of eternity is dark, but soon--oh God let it be soon--we will know it face to face.  And the reality will be as certain as we know we are there together, and it is no longer just a dream.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Heaven can't come soon enough. I'm SO ready. Thank you for posting this. It was beautiful.