Thursday, May 10, 2012

Lions and Locusts

I love reading.  I love books.  And I love when my students love reading and love books.  This year I’ve also learned to come out of my comfort zone by reading aloud.  I had read Reading Magic by Mem Fox about how reading aloud can change children’s lives and I thought I would try it out.  I have never read-aloud well.  I feel self-conscious when I do and I stumble over my words.  But I thought I would give it a try and I found that I love that as well.  I can hide behind the book and become the characters and move out of my own personality.


 

One of the first books I tried out my new reading aloud personality on was Library Lion.  It’s the perfect read-aloud book.  Soft voices, loud roars, attitude in the voices, sadness, strict and lenient voices.  And plus, it’s about a lion in a library.  

The students loved it when I ROARED loudly and giggled.  We enjoyed the whole book together.  It was very memorable.  And I had eleven students.  

YesterdayI had time to do some read-aloud and my helper of the week picked out three books.  The last one was Library Lion.  Some of the students even mentioned how we already had read it and I said, “I know but I love it so much I’m going to read it again.”

I was almost to the last page when I felt overwhelmed by loss....loss...loss.  Marissa wasn’t there to hear it.  I would never read to her again.  I wouldn’t hear her giggly laugh or  have her focus intently with her beautiful gaze.

After I was done with the story the students got their lunches and I texted my mom.  
“I was reading Library Lion to the kids and I remembered the last time I read it to them Marissa was here... =(  And I don’t get to read to her anymore.”

During the afternoon recess I got this text back:
“In heaven Jesus will make up for the time the locusts took.  You will tell her stories again.”

I had to bow my head and let the tears pool behind my eyes.  I had to hold it together, recess was nearing an end and I had to teach, but my heart cried and cried.  

In the book of Joel the locusts are what destroys Israel and in Joel 2:25 God says, “I will repay you for the years the locusts have eaten.”  What was destroyed will be repaid.  

What is lost will be given.

My Mama understood and said it to me perfectly.

“In heaven Jesus will make up for the time the locusts took.  You will tell her stories again.”



(c) T. J. Vanderlaan

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That promise has such hope in it. I'm thankful for your mom!