Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Top Books of the Year - 2013

This is late by a couple weeks...or a few. But it's better late than never I hear, so here are my top books from the year 2013.

1. The Desire of Ages, Ellen White

If I could pick just one book to keep and read, apart from the Bible, for the remainder of my days, I would choose this book without hesitation. The Conflict of Ages series hinges upon this book, which focuses on the life of Jesus - the theme of Ellen White's writings. After reading each chapter I would often tell Beth-Anne, "Wow! That was the best chapter ever." This was repeated for much of the book. Jesus. Enough said.

2. The Great Controversy, Ellen White

This is the only way the most epic book series ever could end. Can a more profound book be published outside the Bible? I thought it would be an intense, difficult read but found it rather encouraging and uplifting in a life-changing sort of way. Some books are good and stick around for a while. This book is on a list of its own and will be reflected upon for decades.

3. Joseph, Terri Fivash

Who doesn't love the story of Joseph? Well researched. Well written. It added to the Biblical account without being ridiculously unbiblical. I'll probably read it again in the coming years.

4. We Bought a Zoo, Benjamin Mee

Don't bother with the movie. That was a waste of time and did not follow the book nearly enough. I know, that's typical. So just skip the movie and read the book instead. It had some "interesting" portions I skipped, but the book overall was hilarious, engaging, and memorable. I recommend the audio version because of the British accent. 

5. Singer on the Sand, Norma Youngberg

This book was recommend by Caitlin Meharry. She was a dear friend who challenged me by her simple joy in God while she was alive. Any book she recommends is going to be a great read. Our school got a copy of this book and I read it to my students. I was able to share with Caitlin that I had taken her advice to read it before she passed. This story is amazing, and the students loved it, but the sentiment I have for it is could easily vault it higher on my list.

6. Moose Country, Sam Campbell

Sam's books have an amazing ability to sooth the reader and bring nature into the home. After a stressful or busy day there was nothing so relaxing as reading Moose Country to Beth-Anne just before sleep.

7. I am Malala, Malala Yousafzai

This girl is inspiring! She stood up for education for girls in Pakistan and was shot by the Taliban. Very well written with enough humor sprinkled in to keep the reader entertained, if not inspired.

8. Loony Coon, Sam Campbell

More ridiculously funny than Moose Country, Loony Coon is, yes, calming, but more sensational. It's hard to believe all the antics that happened in this book. Well worth the time to read it. I expect to read this to my kids multiple times as the years go by.

9. Lost in the Barrens, Farley Mowat

I watched this movie as a kid and loved it, but there was something addicting about this book as an adult. It is well worth the time to read if you're a guy. If you choose to read it, make it during the winter months to enhance the experience.

10. Counting on Grace, Elizabeth Winthrop

Historical fiction is fascinating and this book does not disappoint. I learned a great deal about this time period in New England's history. It is good enough, and clean enough, to suggest to my students. Doffing as a child was no easy task during the Industrial Revolution.

Honorable Mentions:

Dewey
Seal of God
Fire by Jason Vanderlaan
Education by Ellen White
Sign of the Beaver by Elizabeth George Speare
Julie of the Wolves
To Kill a Mockingbird

4 comments:

ChristieCran said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Amber Hill said...

Cristie Cran was actually me... she was apparently signed in.

I can't believe that you would only give To Kill a Mockingbird an honorable mention!! It's the best book ever. It's only January and already it's my #1 book of the year and it will remain in that position. In fact, it's the whole reason I will even write a top 10 list this year. :)

Joel said...

Second! I'm reading Desire of Ages again this year, and I frequently find myself thinking the same thing you did :) Thanks for sharing :)

Matthew said...

Amber, I appreciate your enthusiasm for To Kill a Mockingbird, but while it's well written and thought-provoking, there are so many good books that I don't see how you can ensure its spot as #1 for the next 11 months! I may read it again in the far future and change my mind, but there are just too many good books out there. To Kill a Hummingbird is the sequel - it wasn't very good though. JUST KIDDING!