Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Endless Summer


The Olympics are on television (one of the very few things I’d watch), and we’re relaxing on vacation at the Outer banks (OBX) of North Carolina. I should be doing more productive things (such as typing up this blog), but it is a rare delicacy to savor a lot of nothingness that I feel less than inspired to do much – although the athletes keep me motivated to continue exercising occasionally. My goal is to look better at the age of 30 than I did at the age of 20. This goal is much more feasible than it sounds because I didn’t look all that great at 20 – I had a little bit too much “pudge”. Though, the fact that I’ll be 30 in the next two years is almost scary.

This summer, to catch many of you up to speed, has been a whirlwind in one sense, and a slow-moving river in another. Much of it for me has been spent doing a house project which has been non-stop since the beginning of the summer. I would wake up, do devotions and eat breakfast, then start house projects. The only break in the day would be for lunch, supper, exercise (I’m in pretty good shape because of Insanity), and time set aside to talk with Beth-Anne.

What has made it feel slow-moving is that Beth-Anne was in class for 2 months straight. She was gone, I was alone, and there was a lot of time to just think, listen to music, and recuperate for this next school year.

Here are some events from this summer that have been highlights for me:
1-Playing Daniel for VBS in early June
2-Kayak-camping (kayamping) with Beth-Anne, then Jason, in late May/early June
3-Spending time with the pets – lots of time – every day
4-Surprising Beth-Anne by visiting her in Collegedale
5-Visiting my parents for a week in Virginia
6-Being present for Ted’s profession-of-faith
7-Learning from Landmark
8-Spending time with family in OBX
9-Watching the Olympics!
1-Riding waves
1-Exercising every day (Insanity!)

Soon, the heat will begin to fade away and the days will shorten. Students will enter the classroom, and we will again have the opportunity to challenge, encourage, and motivate them to heaven.
For all the moments these recent months have brought, and for all the times to come, live to the glory of God.

No comments: