Saturday, November 22, 2008

Philippines

About six years ago I got a packet asking if I wanted more information about sponsoring a child through Children International. http://www.children.org/ It was free to get the information so I did, and I received this picture.



This is Jason, he is five years old in this picture. I couldn't resist and so I began sponsoring him. For the past six years I have been able to write him and received letters and pictures from him. However, visiting him was always out of the question because it was too far.

But when we found out that we were going to Korea, I knew that I wanted to visit Jason in the Philippines. Korea is much closer to the Philippines than the USA.

So on November 14th we flew to Manila.

Here I will put a plug in for Korean Airlines. If you ever have the option to fly with Korean Airlines, do it. They have the best service. They are kind and polite, and their food is pretty amazing. For those that are vegeterian you know how terrible veggie food is on planes, but our was really good! And!!! Shocker-of-all-shockers they served us ice cream!



So, fly with Korean Airlines. It's a great choice.

So into Manila we flew, and for 20 miles it took over and hour to get to our hotel. Traffic is terrible.



Here's a picture of some pesos.



This was the view from our hotel in Quezon City.

Children International picked us up at our hotel on November 15th and brought us to the agency to meet Jason.



It's hard to explain what it was like to meet Jason. His mother and youngest brother were there as well, but just to sit next to him felt unreal. Matthew and I brought him a Lego set and a basketball with a pump as a present. It was so cute to see Jason hug Matthew for both of the gifts.

Jason was really shy, understandably, but I was really shy too.

First we went to a public park...







Then we were able to take Jason, his mom and younger brother to Ocean Park. This was a big deal to Jason because it's too far to come for his family, plus it would be out of the question because of finances.





Watching Jason's excitement and joy in the aquarium was worth the whole trip.







As far as I know he's never been able to see stuff like this, and so it was really special. He almost ran through the whole aquarium!

After Ocean Park, we went and ate with them and headed to the Children International distribution center. This is where the children go for the medical supplies, doctor check-ups, dentist appointments, etc.





Inside the hall at the center.



This is where they take pictures that they send to the sponsors. Here a little girl is having her picture taken..



An activity for the children while they wait for appointments.



I was shown this area of homes which represent the type of homes the children live in. Many are without electricity and basic plumbing. We should be grateful for all we have.

Then we drove to see Jason's home and meet the rest of his family.



This is a picture of Jason's school. It's the multi-level building in the background. It is right up the street from his home. I forgot to mention this, but at lunch Jason ordered two pieces of chicken and rice, but only ate the rice. He then got the chicken to go, so he could share it with his brothers at home.



Once at the house he and his next oldest sibling pulled out the box of Legos and began assembling!



This is us with his whole family. Four younger brothers, father and mother. His whole family was nice. It was poverty that they lived in. The house was small but thankfully all of them seemed healthy.
It's beyond words to describe what the trip was like, but before we left Matthew got another hug and I got a kiss on the cheek and a hug.
I pray that many of you will consider being a sponsor. It isn't that much a month, and it really does change their lives.


3 comments:

Matthew said...

Wow guys, that's pretty neat. He kinda looks like that other Jason we know...

If I come see you in the Philippines, will you take me to the aquarium too? Pleeeez?

Chopsticks on Oboe said...

That is so cute! It's amazing what a blessing you can be to those who don't have anything. Sometimes it's easy to slip into the mentality of only thinking of myself, but I when I look around and see those that are in need, it really makes me realize how blessed I am, and try to think what I can do to help. Thanks for the blog!

Unknown said...

so awesome.